on 2 Dec 2011
We are thinking about moving to Auckland in 2013, to give our son the experience of living in another country and to try New Zealand on for retirement. We own our own business (internet based) and home school our teenage son. First, is there any problem with homeschooling (internet based high school)? And second, continuing our business there?
Stephanie on 5 Dec 2011 - 08:48
Homeschooling in Auckland is perfectly legal, and currently over 6000 students study outside of formal schools and institutions. In order to homeschool your son (if he's between the age of 6 and 16), you'll need to get a "Certificate of Exemption" from the NZ Ministry of Education (MOE). This document essentially proves that you're covering all the subjects that the government believes should be covered, though, you don't need to adhere to the NZ curriculum. 

Call the MOE and ask them for a homeschool information pack. Then answer the questions and submit with a completed application form. Processing time is usually around three weeks, and you can expect that a visitor from the Education Review Office will come out to your house after a couple of months to ask your student a bunch of questions about their education. 

If you have any questions, I would recommend you get in contact with the Home Education Foundation (though they're a Christian body) they can still answer any questions you would likely have even about a secular style of education. 

Otherwise, I don't see why there would be any problem with continuing your business, but I would suggest consulting a lawyer who specialises in expat tax, so you can figure out if you can avoid taxation for profit you make in both NZ and your home country. 
Johanna from Canada on 8 Dec 2011 - 21:28
Yes, as Stephanie said, there are quite a number of people who opt to home-school their kids. For some people it's just a preference but for some it's a necessity as they are working and living on remote farms where the nearest school may be a days travel away! For this reason, I think the MOE has tried to make the process relatively simple. And what a cool experience to spend a year overseas as a kid! I would write some geology into the lesson plan as New Zealand is somewhat of a geologist's Mecca. Weather patterns and agriculture would also be lessons for which you would find ample teachable moments! I'm sorry I don't know much about doing business in New Zealand. Maybe contacting New Zealand's IRD (Inland Revenue Department) would be a starting point? All the best Johanna
Anonymous (not verified) on 13 Oct 2012 - 14:26
Hi. I homeschool (ACE) both my daughters and might be relocating to Auckland. My husband is from New Zealand. Any other expats in Auckland that homeschools? Ronel, Cape Town
GabyS on 15 Oct 2012 - 08:26
Hi there Ronel

I suggest getting in contact with Aukland Home Educators (http://www.aucklandhomeeducators.org.nz/) - they organise plenty of events where you can meet other homeschool parents and will certainly help with any questions you have.

Good luck with your move! Be sure to explore the Expat Arrivals guide to living and working in New Zealand before you go, and go ahead and post any other questions you may have on this forum.
Anonymous (not verified) on 27 Jul 2013 - 12:12
Hi Ronel Home education is very popular here in New Zealand. My neighbour has just finished putting her 18 year old through all of his school from home. With regard to business, when I came over from South Africa to New Zealand 19 years ago, I was blown away at how easy small business is in this country, and how many people are engaged in it. I currently run a small business from home, also digital and internet-based, and I earn more from it, than I did when working for law firms. I am unsure about transferring your business from SA to NZ, but I imagine that it's only a matter of the legalities and taxes which an accountant and lawyer would easily be able to assist you with. Good luck with it all!