Hello, I am just in the process of trying to decide whether to relocate from the UK and accept an offer of employment in Auckland. I am trying to get to the truth about living in New Zealand: is it a difficult transition? all of the forum / blog accounts that I have found so far paint a grim picture of New Zealand in general and Auckland in particular. (To be fair though people, in my experience, generally air their grievances rather than their successes so it is diffiuclt to find a balanced view) I will be arriving alone and looking for a rural home commutable to Auckland CBD: where are the preferable areas to look for accommodation and are there any local groups that I can link up to with a view to some level of integragtion? Any and all advice will be welcomed. IMS
EllieAW74 on 14 Aug 2014 - 17:04
It can take a long time to consider where you might like to live. There are many tools to help you decide and some fun quizzes out there to match your lifestyle to the right location for you! I took this interactive quiz and it matched me perfectly to Belgium. I must be making the right decision! http://www.currencies.co.uk/what-country-should-you-live-in/
Xavier on 13 Aug 2014 - 07:21
Hi there

We've very recently updated our New Zealand guide with input from expats on the ground. I'd recommend you have a look at it, as it gives a good overview of what you can expect. The guide starts with Moving to New Zealand.

I'd especially pay attention to Culture Shock in New Zealand and read a few of our interviews with expats in Expat Experiences in New Zealand.

It is difficult to strike a balance between online naysayers and the glossy reviews of travel guides. It is also unfortunately a case of seeing whether the pros outweigh the cons, which is a very personal thing.

Hope this helps,

Xavier