Expert Info

Posted by Karinap
on 6 Jun 2021



I was accepted at a Czech University. I live in Argentina, but I have dual citizenship (Argentina/Spain). So technically I am a EU citizen, but have no European Healthcare, since I never lived in Spain. What kind of Health Insurance should I get once I get to Czech Republic? I assume the EU  is cheaper than the one for that correct?



Carla Verfaille on 23 Jun 2021 - 08:17

Hi Karina, 

Our Healthcare in Czech Republic page gives quite a detailed breakdown of the Czech health insurance policy. You are not eligible for the Czech state system unfortunately, and health insurance for EU citizens only covers care at public institutions and does not cover all forms of medical care. The EHIC can also only be used for short term visits and therefore may not be applicable for a long term stay, such as for the term of your degree. 

To get a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) you need to be insured by a state social security system in a European country. In your case, this would be Spain. To apply for a EHIC, called the TSE in Spain, you will need to apply to a Social Security Service and Information Centre in Spain. Unfortunately, this cannot be done online and you will therefore need to be in the country to do this. Bureaucracy is Spain is notoriously bad and this could therefore take some time. 

Alternatively, you could get coverage with a private insurance company. Cigna Global and Aetna International are both reputable international health insurance companies. We recommend doing some research into the best possible plan for you. 

I hope this helps. 


Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global

Cigna Global can tailor an international health insurance plan to perfectly fit the needs of you and your family. With 86 million customers in over 200 countries, Cigna Global has unrivalled experience in dealing with varied and unique medical situations and delivering high standards of service wherever you live in the world.

Get a quote from Cigna Global

William Russell Health Insurance

William Russell

William Russell is a boutique insurance company, that values itself on its great customer service and is underwritten by Allianz. They provide health, life, and income protection insurance for expats around the world. With a global network of 40,000 hospitals and doctors, their health insurance plans are designed so that they follow you to whatever country you move to next.

Get a quote from William Russell

Moving Companies

Sirelo logo

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes now!